XP - photos by email

graham√ 20:06 08 Aug 03

Following a similar thread yesterday, I am experimenting with the facility in XP to reduce the size of photos in order to send them via email. This what Help and Support says:

'To send a photo in e-mail
Open My Pictures, and then open the folder containing the photo you want to send in e-mail.
Click the photo you want to send.
Under File and Folder Tasks, click E-mail this file.
In the Send Pictures via E-mail dialog box, click Make all my pictures smaller.
Windows makes a smaller photo file and attaches it to an e-mail message that displays a default subject and text message.

In the To box, type the e-mail address of the person to receive the picture, change the subject and message text if you want, and then click Send. '

The 'attaches it to an e-mail message' bit doesnt happen. The window just closes, with no sign of the 'smaller' picture. Anyone succeeded with this facility?

hugh-265156 20:46 08 Aug 03

works ok here with xp home.after clicking send to mail recipient i get the choice of making it smaller/keep original size or by clicking more options i can choose fits in window 640x480 800x600 1024x768 and its then attached to the message.

hugh-265156 20:52 08 Aug 03

does it attach ok when you locate the picture manually by clicking create mail then attach?

Irishman 20:52 08 Aug 03

Try downloading Tweak UI from M/soft It's under Powertools for XP. If memory serves me right you need this to resize pictures.

graham√ 21:19 08 Aug 03

Thanks, I think maybe I have to open the Write box first.

huggyg71, yes I can attach pictures OK. I'm still looking for that magic proceedure to use every time!

Got to go now, will resume in the morning.

GroupFC 22:28 08 Aug 03

Yes it works fine with me, but I do it from Windows Explorer.

Right click the picture file, select send to mail receipient. A box pops up select make picture smaller, ok.

A new e-mail box then opens as seekit says and the rest is plain sailing!

bruno 23:39 08 Aug 03

when I follow the instructions from help I do not get the "Send Pictures by e mail" dialogue box,so I have no control over choices.When I do send the size is reduced automatically.I am not trying to muscle in on your thread Graham,but we seem to have a similar problem.

GroupFC 23:56 08 Aug 03

Even following the instructions from help it works.

Sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear!

graham√ 08:52 09 Aug 03

bruno, when you click on a photo you should see 'E-mail this file' under 'File and Folder tasks'. You may have to click on the arrow to expand the list.

I wonder if using AOL is preventing the program from working. If I minimise AOL and open IE, there are no Email facilities.

watchful 09:07 09 Aug 03

I do the same as GroupFC with no probs. but prefer to make pics smaller with Irfanview and then insert them.
That way they are sent and received with no attachment showing.

bruno 09:12 09 Aug 03

I followed the "help" instructions to the letter and I still do not get that dialogue box.I can e mail reduced sized photos but it is as if an instruction to"always reduce all my pictures" has been ticked somewhere(I know not where).I will keep on trying and let you know if I win.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…