XP PC shuts down, even in Safe Mode

Flopper 11:18 AM 19 Jul 12

Sorry if this is a double posting as my earlier attempt seemed to disappear. I have a PC running XP Home which constantly shuts down (not rebooting) even while booting into Safe Mode although it occasionally gets to the desktop and then shuts down. I don't know the full spec as it doesn't get that far.

My initial thoughts are to (a) uninstall recent updates as a process of elimination (b) run a full virus and malware check (c) reinstall XP Home

Any other suggestions?

birdface 11:27 AM 19 Jul 12

if an oldish computer check the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.Make sure the fans are clean and working and the heatsink on top of the CPU is also clear.

Amazing how much dust gets inside a computer in a year or two.

KRONOS the First 11:41 AM 19 Jul 12

Good advice indeed from buteman as it sounds very much like overheating, so pay particular attention to the fan sitting atop the processor (CPU)as that is likely to be the culprit if it is an overheating problem.

I find a soft paint brush and a vacuum cleaner do a good job. But it would be useful to know what age is the PC? Make and model of PC is also helpful.

Flopper 10:37 AM 23 Jul 12

Sorted it. It was in fact full of Malware and a thorough scan with SuperAntiSpyware cleared up the problem and it seems OK now. I checked internally and it is quite clean with all the fans working properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11