XP Password Problems

axelbrora 19:39 06 Feb 06

I have been having problems logging on to XP which I have now tracked down to password/user problems, which I have been messing with and trying to fine tune.

When I boot up I get a message saying that it cannot log me on and I have to enter my user name in a box. Sometimes when I click OK it jumps to the welcome screen and I just need to click on my name. Other times it closes the message box and I have to enter my name (& blank password). Yesterday it skipped both options and went straight to the "starting windows" screen but "hung" obviously waitng for me although it had both dialogue boxes covered and I did not know why it had hung.

To cut a long story short, is there a way to start from scratch and reset everything to do with logging on?

Axel

BurrWalnut 20:08 06 Feb 06

Start, Run, type control userpasswords2 and press enter. You can then make changes that suit you.

Create a system restore point first as I've heard of people locking themselves out when using this.

axelbrora 21:01 06 Feb 06

>>>Create a system restore point first as I've heard of people locking themselves out when using this.<<<

Yes that is exactly what happened to me after messing with "control userpasswords2"!

How do you access the system restore point if you are locked out and XP wont finish booting up?

Axel

VoG II 21:06 06 Feb 06

Try the TweakUI method click here

axelbrora 21:24 06 Feb 06

I think I have now spotted the problem. Under the Control Panel\User Accounts I have changed the user name to my christian name only and the "control userpasswords2" still has my full name as the user name. Not sure how this could be possible. I would have thought Xp would have made sure they were both the same, but might this be the problem?

Axel

BurrWalnut 08:12 07 Feb 06

If you lock yourself out of your account you will have to start in safe mode and log on as the administrator. Then run control userpasswords2.

BurrWalnut 08:14 07 Feb 06

In the above reply, I should have said run system restore not the passwords program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…