XP OS, will not boot beyond BIOS

chrisf1960 23:59 22 Mar 09

I have an AMD 2800+ with XP Professional; I don’t have the original XP disk but I have the 25 digit product code and I have another (legal copy of) Windows XP Professional.
I can get into, and change options within, the BIOS; but I can’t get any further than that.

This is the sequence of events:

1)Original PATA) disk was partitioned (C & D)
2)Added WD 500GB SATA and partitioned it (F & G). Using WD Data Lifeguard Tools I transferred everything from C to F and from D to G.
3)I disconnected the old drive and made the new drive the active/system disk.
4)Everything worked well and I installed the Windows updates etc.
5)When I next booted the pc I got a menu asking which OS I wanted to load. The screen showed (from memory, something like):

Windows XP
Windows XP

6)It didn’t make any difference which option I picked since the PC booted to the Windows desktop. I once had a similar problem to this and it involved running MSCONFIG. When I ran MSConfig and looked in the Boot.ini tab and under [Operating Systems] I expected to be able to delete one of the duplicate “Windows XP” entries but there was only an entry for Recovery Console, so I delete that.
7)When I rebooted, I found that I could get into the BIOS and change any option – if necessary – but once out of there it would get just past where I could see what HDD's were present and then the screen goes black and nothing happens.
8)I tried re-connecting the original disk but I get the same result.

I need help. What should I do?

Thanks

ened 07:11 23 Mar 09

Disconnect the second disc completely.

Alternatively, if you want the second disc as your os host, disconnect the first disc and install the os on the second disc.

Then reconnect the original disc but go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence so that it only looks for the disc with the os that you want to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017