XP or Vista for Acer 11.6inch netbook

ttmiller01 23:22 02 Jul 09

I have a choice to purchase an 11.6inch netbook with 2GB RAM, Z520 1.3GHZ intel atom processor and 250 GB storage with Vista operating system OR a 1GB RAM (expandable to 2), 1.3 GHZ processor with 160GB storage with XP OS.

I've read that vista on a netbook with this type of processor will make it really slow. My primary puropse for a netbook is basic computing: internet and wordprocessing. Is it better to go with the XP and less hardrive?

I value any advice/feeback/opinion.
sincerely,

Forum Editor 00:09 03 Jul 09

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook that has 1Gb RAM and 120Gb hard drive. It has a 1.6 GHz N270 Atom processor, and came with Linux Linpus Lite preinstalled.

I took off the Linux and installed Vista Ultimate, and it runs like a dream. It's obviously not as fast as a desktop or laptop, but you don't use these machines for intensive computing - mobile internet access, email, and a few data files is all most people need.

My little Acer is a delight, it's small and light, and the build quality is high. The real winner however, is its display. It has an 8.9" screen on which the display is crystal clear and bright - it's astonishingly good.

ttmiller01 22:06 03 Jul 09

i do appreciate your response. You are the only one that responded, so i thought i might have posted to the wrong forum. I'm eager to hear about other people's experinces with this. I'm really still unsure about this processor speed at 1.3 ghz. You have a 1.6 GHZ and perhaps this is why vista worked well on your computer?

PO79 13:14 04 Jul 09

In my opinion, with those specs go for XP. You can always put vista on as a dual boot option to see how it will run later.

ttmiller01 19:19 05 Jul 09

Thanks, for your response and I think i will go for the xp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now