xp or 2000

Scott709 17:36 15 Apr 03

im currently considering which operating system to purchase for my pc, i have heard that xp is very graphical and that microsoft can take details from ur pc without u knowing when u download updates and i have been told that 2000 does not do this, wat am i best buying? money is not an issue as i have spent alot on my pc as it is and do not mind spending that little bit extra, any opinions much appreciated
scott macdonald

eccomputers 17:48 15 Apr 03

personally I love XP and think you should always go for the latest OS. I purchased 2000 when it was released and couldnt believe how slow it was. I paged through all the known 2000 issues on the MS web site only to find they forgot to include drivers that support ata100 or above.
I have xp pro with service pack 1 installed and I have to be honest, I've yet to see a problem.

Paranoid Android 17:51 15 Apr 03

I agree, XP Pro. Don't worry too much about the scare stories, Microsoft is not too worried about what Mr Joe Bloggs at number 42 is doing as long as he stumps up the cash.

Stick in a firewall if you are unsure about your privacy online.

Marvin

Scott709 17:56 15 Apr 03

wat sort of firewall< i take it [email protected] own wont be anygood for protecting me against microsoft

Legolas 18:09 15 Apr 03

I run XP Pro in my home computer and I find it fast and stable. We have Win2000 on the computers at college and as eccomputers says it is very slow, having had experiance of both OS,s I would definately go for XP Pro.

Kitz E Kat 19:16 15 Apr 03

Ehhh.... im not so sure!!!
I Have Both on different systems, don't see much difference in spped of either. The big thing you should consider is running £rd party software, XP has a big problem with a lot of Software, if it aint digitally "signed" by Microsoft forget it. Aside from that "small" problem either is as good as the other, some don't like the Fisher price look of XP, i don't have a problem, But DO check out the software issue and some cards don't like XP either<
Opps Gotta Go Milkman Here!!!!
Kitz

recap 19:27 15 Apr 03

In addition to what Kitz E Kat has said don't forget the driver issue with XP (both versions). W2K has vertually got all the drivers sorted out now.

I use W2K at work and have found it to be very stable, you can find what you are looking for on the system fairly easirly. I found using XP that there is a lot of click this click that to get what you require.

If you do go for the XP package then go for the Pro version and not the Home version.

One other thing with both operating systems, it is much better to have NTFS on than FAT32. Better security for one thing.

malgall 19:37 15 Apr 03

i had win 98 which was always crashing
blue screens usual stuff
so i changed it for win xp home
and it has never crashed
when a game crashes you just shut down the game
and win xp carries on running
installing drivers is easy
wish i had changed when it was first out

Lead 19:56 15 Apr 03

I would recommend XP Home or Pro. Not a great deal of difference between them, but XP has some extra Networking features, so if you don't need them get the Home version.

I ran 2000 for about a week, it was too slow to boot, run and shutdown, so I ditched it. But having said that, I have many friends that run it without any problems.

As for software/hardware issues, I have had none. Aslong as your PC isn't too old, I don't think you'll have any problems.

As for using non-certified drivers, I use loads, again no problem at all. Many manufatcurers have drivers for XP that aren't certified by MS, doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Lead 19:59 15 Apr 03

PS If you already have an OS, then don't forget the 'upgrade' versions of XP will be cheaper. Especially the educational version ;)

Scott709 20:05 15 Apr 03

i have found this info very usefull and i think i will go for pro as the majority seem to think it is a good idea, thanks again best regerds
scott macdonald

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…