XP opening 98 files

bob308w 13:31 23 Dec 07

I have a CD of my family tree, made on Windows 98 using a "Broderbund" CD. is there any way that I can get XP to open this file? I keep getting the message "windows does not recognise this type of file". I have the original set-up CD, but it is not being recognised. I seem to remember that somewhere I can select to "use windows 98 to open this type of file" on XP?

brundle 13:36 23 Dec 07

If the software used to create the file isn't on your PC, and files it creates are unique to that software your PC won't know what it is (as you have seen). You need to install the relevant software.

bob308w 13:57 23 Dec 07

I do have the original set up files, but they are for 98 and XP will not run them.

DieSse 15:03 23 Dec 07

In that case you will not be able to open the files.

It's absolutely necessary to have the Broderbund software installed on the PC for the files to open.

Exactly what happens when you try to install the Broderbund software on the XP system?

brundle 15:05 23 Dec 07

Tried Compatibility mode? click here

click here

bob308w 21:26 23 Dec 07

DieSse;
I get as far as "install", then task manager reports that programme is not responding.
brundle;
Tried compatability mode, same result as above.

Thanks guys, I guess that I will have to buy software suitable for XP.

bob308w 21:38 23 Dec 07

Having just looked on Amazon, it would appear that bruderbund do not make a family tree programme compatable with XP. This leaves me with all of my family tree on a CD that I cannot read, any suggestions ?

bob308w 21:46 23 Dec 07

just tried to open it in comp. mode again and received the message "compatability mode cannot open this programme, it is part of the operating system".
I trust that this means summat to somebody?

MCE2K5 21:55 23 Dec 07

Have you tried to install the program with "Program Compatibility Wizard".

Start Button, All Programs, Accessories, Program Compatibility Wizard.

Click Next, Click the O "I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive", use windows 98 and so on.

When the Program is installed goto the Directory to find the .exe that Starts the Program, Right click, Properties, Compatability, Tick Box Run this Program in Compatability Mode For: Select Windows 98/Windows Me click ok and Try running the program again.

brundle 22:01 23 Dec 07

What is the software called? Perhaps you need to pick up a more recent version and import the data.

MCE2K5 22:54 23 Dec 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced