is this xp OEM? and can i use it

Leslie-212488 21:31 19 Jan 05

i have a copy of xp, which was supplied with a dell pc in 2002. it has a dell label, and says only to be used with a dell it an OEM copy.
the pc it was supplied with, was converted to win 2000, so it could be networked.would dell, have activated this pc. i used the disk to do a clean install on an old machine, it went ok, it now wants to be activated, i dare'nt. what do you think.

Diodorus Siculus 21:45 19 Jan 05

You will have to activate it within 30 days as you know, so best to go ahead and try now. Likely though it is only licensed for the Dell hardware.

Djohn 22:01 19 Jan 05

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Microsoft are not going to jump all over you, it will either activate via the internet or it will say, "This product failed to activate, please phone Microsoft to activate".

Leslie-212488 18:34 20 Jan 05

called the activation freephone number, explained the problem, quoted the Product key, which cane up as OEM.

Djohn 18:49 20 Jan 05

Hi, it would show in Microsofts database as OEM, but more important. Was you able to activate and use it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…