XP not working as should after M/B upgrade

Steve Mat 08:28 09 Oct 09

Hi,
I installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM on my son's old pc. Originally it was an Acer and only came with an OEM version of XP and as stated on previous posts, would not install. I got around this by using another version of XP from an Aldi Medion pc and this appeared to work fine and I was able to recover/repair and boot into windows.

Windows even accepted my original key code and everything appeared fine until I tried to install the M/B drivers. To cut this thread short, the setup.exe file will not run from the CD drive, however, the windows one will.

Additionally, some programs will run with no problems but others, like IExplorer won't start. The error messages I get include:

The procedure entry point SettDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Any suggestions? or do I have to do a complete new reinstall?

Steve Mat 12:55 09 Oct 09

Forgot to mention that I had to rename Fltmgr.sys in order to get rid of a BSOD, which was preventing me from getting into windows.

HondaMan 16:41 09 Oct 09

I appreciate that I may be" teaching my grandmother to suck eggs", but have you (re)installed the MoBo and graphics card drivers and software?

Steve Mat 16:50 09 Oct 09

I'd love to but if you read my thread (2nd para)you'll see I couldn't. Disk works fine on other pc.

Stuartli 18:35 09 Oct 09

Whenever you install a new motherboard, immediately on first boot up you should undertake an XP Repair.

See:

click here

on how to do so if you are not familiar with the sequence (ensure you do a Repair and NOT open the Recovery Console during the early stages).

Once that is done, you can install the latest motherboard drivers etc.

Stuartli 18:37 09 Oct 09

Apologies, went more by the thread title than the content...:-(

Try going to the Run box and typing:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

and hit OK. You may need the XP disk handy.

Stuartli 18:39 09 Oct 09

Just one point. You can't use an XP Pro version to Repair XP Home.

Steve Mat 19:05 09 Oct 09

Both versions are XP Home

The bit about the disk was just to verify that the disk would run i.e. the disk was not at fault.

sfc ran without reporting anything or asking for the disk.

OTT_Buzzard 19:19 09 Oct 09

If i've understood your problem corectly, you have installed a new motherboard & processor (and some other stuff) and continued to use the same hard drive with an existing Windows XP installation on it.

If that is the case, you stand very lttle chance of getting it to work properly without a fresh install of windows. When XP installs it puts in and configures some very specific info about the hardware in the computer and how to communicate with it (google Hardware Abstraction Layer or HAL).

If you have changed the hardware, especially the motherboard and processor, I do not know of a way to get everything working properly without a reinstall.

Others may know of something, but the HAL is almost certainly your problem.

woodchip 22:17 09 Oct 09

A Medion CD will only work with Medion Computers as its a Medion oem CD not a Microsoft oem and the key code is for the Medion PC not your Son's

Stuartli 22:54 09 Oct 09

I've twice changed my motherboard in recent years and, in each case, the only initial requirement has been to undertake an XP Repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant