XP not seeing 'new' scanner

graham√ 09:51 03 Aug 03

Am trying to instal a ScanMagic 4800P scanner on my XP. It works fine on my 95 PC, so I'm using the same cable to connect to LPT port on XP.

I can't instal the downloaded driver for XP, even with the 'fixwinxp' program, so I have installed the '95 driver.If need be, I will use the 'Compatability' program.

The problem now is the XP machine does'nt recognise the scanner when it is connected, and the 'Add New Hardware' program can't find it either. Anything else I can do?

bremner 10:02 03 Aug 03

The 95 driver will not work even using the compatability wizard.

You must install a XP driver.

User-312386 10:06 03 Aug 03

this is obviously a spin off from this thread click here

you say that windows does not detect the scanner?

when you go down the list in device manager, did you click on the + sign on PORTS(com and LPT), can you see any reference?

graham√ 10:13 03 Aug 03

In Device Manager I have ECP Printer port (LPT1). I have options to change the 'interrupt' and 'Plug and Play' (Plug and Play is enabled), and resources (I/O and DMA [3]).

User-312386 10:19 03 Aug 03

have you tried the scanner in another PC

it could be the cable!

User-312386 10:19 03 Aug 03

sorry just saw your initial thread

graham√ 11:57 03 Aug 03

Thanks, I was coming back to you. Is EPP another term for ECP (enhanced port)?

graham√ 12:30 03 Aug 03

Thanks for the link, now in Favourites. Will spend time going through it.

In Bios, the only difference between the ports on the 2 PCs was Interrupt Request, 7 on '95, 5 on XP. Changed XP to 7. Left port type as ECP. Scanner still not seen.

I know the cable is OK, and the port works fine for the printer.

graham√ 20:28 03 Aug 03

Progress, of a sort! The scanner was there all the time. It cannot be accessed directly, but called up in a program such as Picture It!

All I need now is an XP driver!

woodchip 20:38 03 Aug 03

Win 2000 should work

graham√ 20:41 03 Aug 03

Thanks, I'm going back to the Manufacturers site now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…