XP no start button or tool bar?

pavel 19:31 01 Nov 04

I have been given a 1.2 ghz (duron) 35 GB HDD 240MB RAM pc running xp home with sp 1 The thing is that the desk top has no start button or tool bar. Why and how can I reinstate them ( I may have a prob in that the screen I am using is vga and the smallest resolution I can get on it with xp is 600x800. may be the tool bar and start are "off screen " ?)
Pavel

sean-278262 19:45 01 Nov 04

definately the fact your screen is vga is your problem.

Definition of VGA - Abbreviation of video graphics array, a graphics display system for PCs developed by IBM. VGA has become one of the de facto standards for PCs. In text mode, VGA systems provide a resolution of 720 by 400 pixels. In graphics mode, the resolution is either 640 by 480 (with 16 colors) or 320 by 200 (with 256 colors).

Basically get a new monitor.a second hand one can be had for as little as £20 with patience and a look on google.

alternately try for a quicker solution

click here - easy to use

click here - dirt cheap

click here - refurbs

click here - I bought my computer and another from these people, and are selling with 3months warranty 17" monitors for £35. very good service and friendly aftersales also.

Graham ® 20:22 01 Nov 04

Nothing to lose by right clicking the desktop, Arrange icons by, Show desktop icons.

woodchip 20:27 01 Nov 04

just press the widows key

pavel 22:56 02 Nov 04

Thank you folks I got around it by gettting an svga monitor and bob's your uncle the toolbar and start button has reappeared. Thanks for the links creature of the nite , very useful :-)
Pavel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017