XP networking with win98

steved 09:50 14 Apr 03

I am trying to set up a home network between two PCs (one newly upgraded to XP, one win98) via a hub. When I ran the XP network setup floppy in the win989 machine, I got the following error message:
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on place on this computer. Please consult your systems administrator"
To my knowledge there are no restrictions on the win98 PC, which was sucessfully networked to the other one when they both ran win98. Any ideas anybody?

Stevejd

recap 11:37 14 Apr 03

click here and use the drop down menu to select your requiremnet.

steved 13:13 14 Apr 03

Thanks recap, but can't find any specific reference to my problem on the site. Am I missing something?

recap 13:50 14 Apr 03

You first need to run the network wizard on the machine that is going to be directly connected to the Internet. Hopefully the (now) XP machine is this one and the higher spec machine of the two.

Once the floppy has been created and set up on the W98 machine, you need to allow the IP address of this machine to have access through the firewall on the XP machine.

steved 14:16 14 Apr 03

That's the problem though - when I try to run the setup file on the floppy on the win98 machine, I get the error message described above!

Also, both machines have their own seperate access to the internet (apparently you can't share internet access using the original version of win98?) - will this create a problem? They were both successfully networked when they both ran win98...

medicine hat 17:02 14 Apr 03

Guess you will have to do it manually then.

What are the TCP/IP Properties in Control Panel>Network? Is it set to obtain an address automatically or is one already specified? What is the default gateway?

steved 09:10 15 Apr 03

Is that the TCP/IP properties on the XP machine or the win98 one? Or both? I need all the help that I can get when it comes to Networking; I've never really understood it!

Also, is it a problem having both PCs connecting to the Internet seperately? XP advised that I shouldn't do it, although I do run a Norton firewall on each machine...

recap 12:31 15 Apr 03

Manually inserting IP addresses:

On the higher spec computer 192.168.10.1

On the lower spec computer 192.168.10.2

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

click here for infromation on TCP/IP addressing.

steved 12:46 15 Apr 03

Thanks recap - I'll give that a go tonight

steved 09:20 16 Apr 03

Still no luck - from the top, what do I need to check?

steved 22:53 20 Apr 03

Please can somebody help me with this?? I'm completely stuck!

I managed to run the network wizard on both machines without success - I've got TCP/IP installed on both machines using the IP addresses and submask described by recap but the two PCs can't see each other. I've tried pinging the addresses from each PC but they time out... Should I be setting a Gateway address manually?

I used to think that I was pretty pc-literate, but I'm completely out of my depth here and am considering the ultimate sign of defeat (paying somebody to come round and fix it) unless anybody has any bright ideas?

stevejd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…