xp networking - server memory?

bahati0ne 18:47 13 Nov 03

I have laptop & desktop both running xp.The laptop can see the desktop folders that are shared and open them but not the other way round.
Desktop sees folders but trying to open them gives this error message.

"\\laptop\my documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. not enough server storage is available to process this command"

As I am the administrator i am baffled. Can I increase server storage?

spikeychris 19:39 13 Nov 03

Check your error message's in event viewer have you got a Event ID: 2506?

Do you use Norton AV?

spikeychris 19:59 13 Nov 03

Just about to log off so you could try this....

I have seen this before and it concerns Norton AV, took me ages to figure out but the IRPStackSize registry value can be changed to less than 11. If this happens it causes major problems as the default is 15. Windows can run at 11 but file sharing struggles with it.

As said the default is 15 so if you delete the IRP stacksize it would recreate it at 15.

You could delete the value or type in the correct amount of 15,

Open up the registry and Locate and then click the following registry key:

Click the IRPStackSize value and delete it, restart Windows, or as said change the Dword to 15.

bahati0ne 20:06 13 Nov 03

nothing in event viewer and i don't use norton av

however i did find a error message re powerquest.

have uninstalled this and problem solved.

thanks for your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…