XP Network Wizard problem

emmybee 22:53 06 Mar 07

When I try to name my network on the Wizard, when I restart my PC it reverts to "MSHOME". I want to call it "HOME".

terryf 23:07 06 Mar 07

Any particular reason to use a different name from the default? I find that leaving at MSHOME means I don't have to remember the name when I have to reset my network.

emmybee 23:12 06 Mar 07

Good point. It's just that until I reinstalled Windows it was called HOME, so it meant resetting the other two PCs on my network as well!

Ashrich 23:16 06 Mar 07

Right click on My Computer , click on the Computer Name tab , you can edit from there , MSHOME is the network name , this can be changed from the " change " tab , anything else is evident .

Ashley

emmybee 00:09 07 Mar 07

MSHOME is now the Workgroup name on my three PCs. I cannot access the other two PCs from any one of them: I'm told "MSHome is inaccessible. You do not have permission....". I have configured each Norton Firewall to accept the other PCs having pinged them for their IP address. Any ideas?

Ashrich 19:53 07 Mar 07

Try completely disabling the firewalls , temporarily , and see if it makes a difference .

Ashley

Terry Brown 21:32 07 Mar 07

have you tried creating a Network Floppy on your main machine then running it on the other machines. This should make them recognize each other.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017