XP Network Wizard Connection Mystery!

spuds 12:34 01 Apr 07

Using XP Network Setup Wizard, I seem to be unable to make a connection to a second computer, with a error message informing that I should get in touch we the person who setup the connection. I setup the connection using the XP Wizard, and I cannot understand what as gone wrong!.

Ethernet on one (main) computer, two ethernet cards installed on second computer, one Belkin Cat 5E X/O cable connected between the two computers. Thomson 303 modem connected to main computer, and working okay.

After experimenting came up with same failures, I even tried using the Wizard on both computers, to see if that made a connection. Had a look at the Microsoft site, but still baffled.

Can you guide me on how the Wizard setup works, so that I can get BB working on 2 computers.Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 01 Apr 07

Firewalls blocking connection?

spuds 13:03 01 Apr 07

Fruit Bat, thanks,- I did check Microsoft Defender firewall, which as always been disabled on both computers, but forgot about ZoneAlarm as a possibility. Will check this out shortly.

spuds 13:39 01 Apr 07

Still no joy.Disabled all firewalls.

Its now telling me 'Limited or No Connectivity' on both computers. Just tried re-installing with Wizard, and message box states nearly done, then asks if I want make a start-up disk cd or floppy or use the XP CD 'additional devices'. Yes to XP disk, put disk into second computer, click on 'additional' and Wizard Setup Network Connection appears (as if starting from scratch). Follow instructions and still no luck.

I note that on both computers, there is a box which informs me that the computers as been connected for a duration and still ticking away!. Icon's in both computer toolbar show monitors with yellow triangle question mark!.

It also seems to suggest that some device is not connected or as been disabled. Both computers had ethernet cards installed yesterday using the instruction and cd provided. On finish, both returned 'Congratulations Successful Installation'.

tullie 14:16 01 Apr 07

Defender seeks out malware,ident think it was a firewall?

spuds 12:31 06 Apr 07

I must be doing something seriously wrong. Still cannot use the connection between the two computers using the Microsoft Wizard.

Both ethernet cards have two Led's, one for connection and one for transmission. The connection Led's suggest the connection is correct, but the transmission Led's are permanently On. Checking in Device Manager, both cards appear to be working correctly.

Any further advice would be appreciated at this stage.

moorie- 12:34 06 Apr 07

a useful troubleshoot link
click here

spuds 13:54 06 Apr 07

moorie, thanks for the link, looks interesting. Will have a good read later today.

mocha 20:54 06 Apr 07

Go Into 'My Network Places'
Double click 'Local Area Connections'
In 'Local Area Connection Properties' click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
Then click on the button 'Properties'
In 'General' tab click on button 'Use the following IP address'
On First Computer In 'IP address' type '10.0.0.1'
On Second Computer In 'IP address' type '10.0.0.2'
On both computers In 'Subnet mask' type '255.255.255.0'
O.K. your way to the desktop.
Without Firewalls for now see if you have a Network.
Let us know how you go on. If problems with Firewall's once set up let us know.

Good Luck.

mocha 08:23 07 Apr 07

In my last post I missed a step.
Go into 'My Network Places' then
Click 'View Network connections'
then follow my last post.

The computer with two Ethernet cards in it, make sure you choose the Local Area Connection that is going to be used to link the other computer.

spuds 11:56 07 Apr 07

mocha-- Thanks for the info. Will check it out later on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…