//some 3rd party need geo

XP Network *sooo* slow!

Randum Ian 15:14 25 Mar 04

I have a Desktop PC and a laptop PC both running XP Pro and connected up with a Network cable. When I had Windows 2000 when I clicked on a folder in my Network connections it opened straight away. Now when I open a folder in XP Network connections it lags for about 30 seconds to a minute and then opens. Is there a reason for this?

Sir Radfordin 15:40 25 Mar 04

Haven't found one but would look to know what it is that causes is! Don't know it there is some 'discovery' service running in the background that could cause this.

Randum Ian 17:04 25 Mar 04

Could it be the disk indexing service that is running? Perhaps it is cataloging the drives every time?

Sir Radfordin 17:17 25 Mar 04

An idea.

melvyn 09:31 26 Mar 04

My XP to XP Network gives the same problem, a 12mB folder takes 12mins to transfer, whereas it only takes 1min 30 secs when connecting to another network running Win98.

I read the suggestion about the disk indexing service, switched mine off, but it made no difference.

There appear to be quite a few ideas on the internet, most of them in "techie-talk", and involve amending the registry, which I'm not too keen on doing.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…