//some 3rd party need geo

XP Network problem

talia 11:18 16 Sep 04

I need help!

Have connected 2 PC's, both running XP using a crossover cable, PCI lan card on one and the onboard Lan on the other. I have set up my main PC with my business files and printer as the server. The new machine will share all files and printers & internet from my main machine.

Internet is sharing okay but I cannot get access to the files on my main machine from the new one?
main machine is set up to share files and printers? Have I missed something?

JonnyTub 11:25 16 Sep 04

by set up to share files you mean you've right clicked on the file you want to share and clicked on sharing and security and allowed the files to be shared in that manner or you've dragged the file into shared documents folder?

talia 11:32 16 Sep 04

Jonny

I have done none of these. The only thing I have done is allow this when setting up the network.
So I right click on the files I want to share on the host PC and allow sharing and that should work? Do I have to load WORD on the new machine.

I am really thick on network stuff

Baledor 11:34 16 Sep 04

In the sharing on the main PC have you added the other computer or a username access to your files?

talia 11:43 16 Sep 04

I connected all the hardware, ran the set up wizard on host and the other PC. Both machines are showing in the workgroup but that is all I did.

JonnyTub 12:03 16 Sep 04

you only have to load word on the other machine if you want to read and write word files either from your other machine or from the origonal.

JonnyTub 12:05 16 Sep 04

try the simplest method first of right clicking on the files you want to share over your new network and putting a tick in the "share this folder on the network" box and also the one below that should you wish.

talia 12:23 16 Sep 04

Try this and let you know

talia 12:54 16 Sep 04

On the client machine how do I access the files on the host?

JonnyTub 14:36 16 Sep 04

same way, just make sure the file is set to be shared on the network

talia 19:05 17 Sep 04

File sharing has worked a treat and has the printer. Still one problem with the internet.

On the host machine it will not display any advance options on the connections. It states that they are missing and that I need to go back to restore point. Did have the Sasser virus a few months ago could this have damaged them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…