xp network

eccomputers 19:47 19 Mar 03

I have a customer where I have installed 2 computers with XP pro through a 4 port hub to allow expansion in the near future.
It works very well and shares a standard dial up 56k modem connection. However, they frequently call me saying it isnt networking. When I ask them to check a few things, the LAN is disabled. This occurs sometimes on one machine and then the other. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they think the icon in the task bar is an internet connection and they are disabling this thinking they are disconnecting the internet.
Is there any other way the network can disable?.
They are using static IP addresses

Many thanks

spikeychris 19:55 19 Mar 03

Your idea is certainly the favourite. If I had a Pound for every time I get the "call" concerning network gone down I could retire. Lots of users think it is there Internet connection.

Chris

eccomputers 20:59 19 Mar 03

thanks. I am going to pop in there tomorrow and tell the LAN not to display an icon in the task bar. What they dont see, hopefully they wont wreck :)

spikeychris 21:05 19 Mar 03

I've started telling people that XP doesn't have the option of monitoring LAN connections like 2K did ;o)

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…