XP netgear router no connectivity

Billp64 07:57 03 Jul 07

System will not do a restore, router works on laptop but not on desktop with cable.
reset router still same message but laptop wireless ok after setting again.
Do cables just stop working. Computer working but connecton drop yesterday and will not conect cannot. Help!!
Thanks in advance.

howard64 09:19 03 Jul 07

have you tried a different lan socket or a different cable? Have you plugged the laptop in with the cable and tried that. Is it possible for you to borrow another router and see if that works ok? if so the routers sockets have failed. It is a question of trying to establish what the problem actually is. My son in laws laptop will not connect to his router wirelessly but will via cable although his laptop can connect wirelessly with mine. So keep swapping things etc.

martjc 09:47 03 Jul 07

...will require some info. Is it a modem/router or does it access a separate modem? If the latter is the case, reboot in this order - modem, router, pc. Do them separately, making sure each has fully booted before moving on to the next.

Still having problems? Re-run the router setup prog.
Re-boot once more. If still nogo, next stop check drivers in device manager - if necessary, get latest drivers from Netgear.

Billp64 10:07 03 Jul 07

Router DG834G the modem in device manager is the dial up one not in use. The router is working ok all lights on but everytime the same connection message when computer starts. Swapped ports same on all 4. Laptop working ok wireless. Setup would only run on laptop after reset. Can't clear to start again.
Trying to avoid a complete windows install if possible. I thought a reset would put back to as new, no luck.

howard64 11:52 03 Jul 07

have you tried removing the router software from add/remove progs then rebooting and setting up again from scratch? I have the same router and it seems very stable and good.

Billp64 12:34 03 Jul 07

There is no mention in add/remove programs on either computer. I will try a complete reset again and see if that works. Cable ok as etherenet cable worked on laptop after I turned off wireless switch, still got connection.
Mine has been stable until yesterday it is nto router, just getting rid of error meassage.

Billp64 14:32 03 Jul 07

I have been onto Netgear and the chap thinks it is Nortons internet security, it is on laptop as well so not sure. Any opinions please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…