XP needs activation even though it is genuine!

CurlyWhirly 07:25 13 Jan 07

I have just rebooted my PC after downloading and installing the latest security updates - there were 3 in total.

A Windows Defender update, an update for IE7 and the Malicious software removal tool.

When I rebooted I got a message saying that due to the large number of hardware changes, I need to activate my copy of Windows.

The only recent hardware change was a few days ago when I changed from a Billion router to a SpeedTouch 585 wireless router after reading that it works better on long lines like mine.

The activation failed saying that I have installed XP on more than one PC which isn't true!

A similar thing happened before when I had to ring a Microsoft customer service rep and she gave me a product key which I successfully entered over the phone.

Does anyone know what number this was?
I think it was a freephone number.

I would ring the 0870 number (despite the cost) but according to the message contact hours are between 9am and 5pm monday to friday and I would like to get this issue sorted out NOW otherwise my O/S might stop working all together :(

I think Microsoft's anti-piracy stance is being a little OTT as this is the THIRD time I have had to activate it.

The first time was expected as it was the day I installed XP and then there was the second time where I had to ring a Microsoft rep but now I have to do the same and it's rather annoying.

Any advice on what to do please?

By the way my copy of XP Home *is* legit as I still have the original CD and packaging, product key and even receipt.

Cheers

brundle 07:26 13 Jan 07

0800 018 8354

brundle 07:27 13 Jan 07

I took a screenshot of my new product key last time I had to call, in case it works the next time.

CurlyWhirly 07:32 13 Jan 07

Thanks for the freephone number :)

I never took a screenshot of the new product key I was given last time and I wish I had now :(

CurlyWhirly 07:39 13 Jan 07

That was a hassle as I could no longer enter the 6 digit grouping as it is no longer displayed on my screen as it failed the last time!

I eventually got through to a Microsoft rep after failing (through no fault of my own) to enter the codes via the telephone but was told to ring back in 15-20 minutes LOL

CurlyWhirly 08:09 13 Jan 07

I was worried for a minute there but when I called back the rep gave me a new product key and this now works.

It was alarming for me because the last time it happened (a few years ago), I didn't get that message that I had XP installed on another PC which, of course, I don't.

menorcarob2 12:00 13 Jan 07

the screenshot may not be any use as xp generates a different number each time, ie the number you have to give to them. before they give you the activation code.

CurlyWhirly 13:32 13 Jan 07

click here

I came across the above link and it seems that as I have upgraded my RAM on 2 occasions, added a DVD writer last year, upgraded my graphics card a few times and changed from a USB modem to a router twice (which would alter the hash of the MAC address of my network adapter i.e. 8) this is what prompted the activation feature.

menorcarob2 - yes you could well be right that the product key is different every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced