XP mouse problems

AlanHo 18:28 10 Oct 08

A friend brought his desktop computer round yesterday to see if I could solve a growing problem.

It is a 4 year old Fujitsu Siemens XP machine with an 80 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, on board graphics and on board audio.

The problem is that it suddenly refuses to respond to mouse clicks - just sits there and ignores the mouse whatever you do. The computer had a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard which I have swapped for wired ones - trying both PS2 connections and USB (on two available ports) - but to no avail.

Sometimes upon booting the computer will respond to mouse clicks on desktop icons - but not on the icons in the quick launch task bar or notification area. Sometimes you can open a window like task manager OK - but then it will not allow you to select an item or action it. Sometimes you can load and use a programme like Word with no problems - when out of the blue the mouse is again ignored. It is most strange.

I first tried doing a system restore back a few weeks when he claims all was OK - no better.

I then backed up his computer to a spare external hard drive and tried a Windows repair from the CD. This made no difference

I then reformatted the C: drive to NTFS and reinstalled XP from scratch - but interestingly on the first attempt it would not respond to a mouse click when asked to select the language and keybord type etc. After a couple of further attempts I got XP to install but when the window opened to enter a password for the user name it threw up an error message about not recognising the domain (I think - didn't make an accurate note of the exact message).

Now when I reboot - the user icon appears with the window to insert a password - but the mouse is not recognised

I have just finished reinstalling XP all over again from scratch - with the same result.

I am baffled - especially because the mouse problem showed up during the XP install procedure.

Technotiger 18:57 10 Oct 08

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place? Have you done a check on the state of the hard drive itself?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017