XP & Modem Problems

Carronade 02:28 19 Sep 03

When I installed XP (Home) in place of Windows 98SE my modem, an HSP56 MR supplied with the computer, got 'lost'. Delving into the driver disc I eventually found an uninstall program and was then able to use it.

However I now have the problem that if I disconnect from the phone line and later try to reconnect I get 'no dialing tone, ...' and I have to close down/restart the computer.

Can anyone help, please?

Inky 12:21 19 Sep 03

Is the modem driver an XP version, or the one you were using when it was Win 98?
If so, check your installation disk for the correct version and reinstall or see if the manufacturers has posted a new driver for XP on its website.

Carronade 12:32 19 Sep 03

Thanks, Inky. It was OK with Win 98. The disk contains drivers for Win 98, 2k and ME. XP installed either 2k or Me. I tried Driver Guide (users' comments adverse) and Discovery Computing, ending up with SiS, the manufacturers, website in Chinese characters. By the time I submitted my enquiry, I had also used the XP help system as far as I could.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…