XP mode virtual pc

kad60 10:03 AM 14 Mar 13
Answered

I have just installed the XP mode/virtual pc onto my machine HP (2540p) and it seems to work ok,a question i need answering if you please.

The M$ site says i should install anti virus/malware and firewall because the suite i have in Win 7 does not protect the virtual pc.

When i download via the virtual pc will that download be into said virtual pc or go into my normal Win 7.It seems,according to M$,that i need antivirus/malware and firewall because my Win 7 suite will not protect the virtual enviroment.

Again when i install the software off the dvd via the virtual pc will it go there and not the Win 7

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 AM 14 Mar 13
Answer

Think of it as a separate PC accessed from your windows 7 PC.

This separate PC needs all the protection you would have applied to a XP PC. Otherwise it can be taken over by virus and malware

If malware gets into your XP mode of course it then has access to the hard drive and get infect windows 7 as well.

Any data you download on this PC will use storage space on the hard drive of your machine programs will have entries in the XP registry not the windows 7 registry and therefore often cannot be used in windows 7 only XP mode.

kad60 11:22 AM 14 Mar 13

Many thanks Fruit Bat/

kad60 17:29 PM 14 Mar 13

Have to say that downloading and installing was easy, only problem was trying to install PC Tools free,no it said but Comodo firewall and internet security was a straightforward solution.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…