xp missing file

jagsman 17:55 16 Dec 05

when i turned on my pc i got a message saying that the file, WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM is missing or corrupt. I tried to repair this with recovery console but to be honest i dont really know how to go about it. I did manage to run the CHKDSK and it said that there was at least one error. I dont have much of a clue as to how you go about fixing this so any help would be much appreciated.

stalion 18:00 16 Dec 05

go to run and type sfc /scannow

stalion 18:03 16 Dec 05

or boot in to safe mode keep tapping f8 on boot up and select last known good configueration

jagsman 18:08 16 Dec 05

after windows setup i press "r" to go into recovery and end up in ms-dos with a long list of commands like CHKDSK, FORMAT, FIXBOOT etc, so i cannot get to run.

jagsman 18:12 16 Dec 05

tried getting into safe mode, it asked which one to start selected my XP pro pressed enter and ended up back at the error screen

PaulB2005 18:12 16 Dec 05
  PaulB2005 18:14 16 Dec 05

"tried getting into safe mode, it asked which one to start selected my XP pro pressed enter and ended up back at the error screen"

Make sure you enter a number before you hit enter. Hitting enter on it's own cancels the Recovery Console

jagsman 18:19 16 Dec 05

there was no number, tapping f8 on startup, then it asked what to boot

PaulB2005 18:21 16 Dec 05

"there was no number, tapping f8 on startup, then it asked what to boot"

Sorry, I was talking about the recovery console. None of the F8 options will work. Read the link i gave you.

jagsman 18:24 16 Dec 05

i read the stuff from microsoft (cheers paul) and it says to enter the admin password when prompted to get into recovery console. i have not been asked to enter any passwords. does this mean i am not where i should be or is it nothing to bother about.

PaulB2005 18:24 16 Dec 05

If it doesn't ask - don't worry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…