XP and missing DLLs

dms05 12:38 29 Sep 07

I have had XP and PCLinuxOS 2007 sharing my HDD for many months. Today XP refuses to boot and initially returns an error 'missing systen32/hal.dll'. I checked from my Linux partition and hal.dll is missing so I used Linux to download hal.dll and unzipped to my windows/system32 file. I checked and it's there.

Now I have a more general message saying 'report problem: load needed dlls for kernel'.

I've tried to load system32/restore/rstrui.exe but as I'm not getting any XP cursor I can't.

The only XP I have is the original ones supplied by Acer and a very old upgrade original disk for when I went W98 to XP years ago.

Linux boots and runs 100% and I can use it to fully investigate the HDD.

Any ideas on how to regain access to XP?

Eric10 12:46 29 Sep 07

There is help on hal.dll problems on this site. click here. However, I don't know enough about Linux to advise on whether some of the fixes may affect your Linux boot.

dms05 13:49 29 Sep 07

Thanks for the response. I had already seen your link but all the advice assumes you can begin the XP booting installation. However mine fails at the very beginning and I can't even get a cursor. So I'm essentially locked out.

Can anyone suggest a rescue disk that may allow me to at least get into the XP partiton and effect a repair?

dms05 16:08 29 Sep 07

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now