XP and Microsoft Licensing

spuds 19:17 11 May 03

This question may have been asked many times, but I would like to clarify things.

At present I have a computer running WME. This computer as recently had many problems, and it requires a complete spring clean. I intend to purchase a new, more modern computer with XP Home installed.

Question: Can I use the same XP operating software disk on both machines,or is this not allowed, within the Microsoft Terms.Thinking of dual or partitioned drives.

powerless 19:21 11 May 03

No only one licensed copy per machine. If you want to use XP on both machines you'll need another license. If your drive is partitoned or a dual booter you can still use XP as its all on the same machine.

jazzypop 19:22 11 May 03

One WinXP disc = 1 licence

Additional licences can be purchased from MS at a slightly reduced cost for the second copy.

If you try to install the same copy on a 2nd machine, you will be unable to activate it, as the code will have been registered on the first PC. If it is not activated, it will not run after (I think) 30 days.

spuds 19:34 11 May 03

Thanks Guys for that info. Thought as much, but wanted to be sure.

-pops- 19:37 11 May 03

Even if you could do what you want, it is very rare for commercial machines to have a full copy of XP O/S provided with them. Normally it is a "recovery disk" or some such euphemism or sometimes no disk at all.

Brian

powerless 19:41 11 May 03

I have a Full copy of XP on me Evesham.

Two CD's...

1) Full copy of XP CD

2) Driver and software CD.

spuds 19:50 11 May 03

pops- The new computer will have a full copy of XP supplied with it.This will be installed by the local manufacturing outlet and the disk etc handed to me for registering and future usage, if needed.

-pops- 19:51 11 May 03

That doesn't alter what I wrote.

Evesham doing this admirable thing (I do mean that, it's not a sarcastic comment) is an exception. Most suppliers do provide only one of these half baked things or nothing at all without charging extra - and the only supplying a recovery disk. Tiny/Time/Computer World (or whatever they're called now) come to mind in that.

Full marks to Evesham - again!

Brian

powerless 19:54 11 May 03

It's ok i know what you mean.

They make it so only the Disc supplied with the computer only works with the computer supplied with the disc.

-pops- 19:55 11 May 03

If your supplier is using a standard OEM version of XP, ask him if he will supply a second copy at a low rate (you are, after all buying a whole machine from him). You can then use that on your current machine. Remember to do a full fdisk and format beforehand though.

Brian

spuds 20:03 11 May 03

Thanks for that suggestion and advice.I have considered that option, and I think I will go along that route.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…