XP Media Edition. No internet after virus

onthelimit1 15:46 30 Apr 15

Neither the wired nor wireless will connect to internet (although both show as connected). After much Googling, I've narrowed it down to a corrupt Tcpip driver (Device manager, View, Show hidden Devices -TCP/IP Protocol Driver has the exclam mark next to it).

Have tried sfc /scannow, but being Media Edition it eventually asks for the second Pro CD which I do not have. I found the driver in C\Windows|System32\Drivers, but it cannot be deleted from there (I was going to paste a copy of a good version of the driver from another XP machine). This corrupt driver prevents the usual tricks of ipconfig etc from running.

Before I give up, any suggestions?

northumbria61 16:01 30 Apr 15

but it cannot be deleted from there

You should be able to right click and select delete

rdave13 16:29 30 Apr 15

On phone so appols for errors. Coocle repair stack tcp ip for xp.

onthelimit1 17:12 30 Apr 15

Northumbria. Yes, right click and delete but then it reappears after a few seconds. 'Protected' I guess.

Rdave - looks as though you're driving at the same time! Tried all the TCP repairs I could find, but they don't seem to repair the driver.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 30 Apr 15

Either delet in safe mode or try stopping the service (services.msc) before deleting.

onthelimit1 18:08 30 Apr 15

Thanks FB. I'll go and try safe mode now (service is not running because of the problem).

rdave13 19:59 30 Apr 15

TCP IP service not running in xp after virus

rdave13 20:01 30 Apr 15

Bloody phones,pleas ignore

rdave13 03:39 01 May 15

click here 2007 Bleeping Computer thread might help.

This

mole1944 05:56 01 May 15

Re install windows,then clone your drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 2D animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes