XP and ME on two hard disks

Rhuddlan 17:35 26 Apr 03

I want to keep XP on HDD C and put ME on my new HDD D, but when I try to install ME a message appears saying that I need to uninstall my current opearating system and then install ME, but if I install ME first, won't I lose all of my documents, updates etc can't I just install ME on top of XP, help needed!!!

zanwalk 17:42 26 Apr 03

The easiest method to do this would be to unplug the XP drive and connect the new one as master, you will need to fdisk and format the disc before installing ME. Afterwards, set the jumper to slave and reconnect the XP drive. You may have add ME to the start up menu manually.

Rhuddlan 17:45 26 Apr 03

I have already installed the new hard drive and set HDD D as the slave, is there another option, thanks for the help.

zanwalk 17:48 26 Apr 03

XP will not let you install an older OS such as ME, so short of formatting and starting again, I don't know of any other way.

MyGosh 17:53 26 Apr 03

Where is the link

goonerbill 10:02 27 Apr 03

do a search on this subject in the help forum. someone posted a complete guide on how to do this a few months ago. will see if i can find it for you

goonerbill 10:18 27 Apr 03

heres the link i told you about click here hope it solves ya problem and would recommend ya print it off

zanwalk 10:32 27 Apr 03

Thanks for reminding me of that link - I had forgotten that thread.

flecc 13:54 27 Apr 03

As Rayburn says, you must unplug the first drive and then install ME onto the second. It's not usually necessary to re-jumper the slave drive, in the absence of the master, most computers will happily accept the remaining drive as the master for the ME installation.

Afterwards, reconnect the XP drive and you'll boot into that again. You'll then need to add the ME to the Boot.ini file so that you get the choice on bootup, or alternatively use a separate boot manager such as Boot Magic which comes with Partition Magic.

Rhuddlan 14:11 27 Apr 03

Thanks everyone for the help and the link, I will let everyone know how I got on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…