xp to me

picklesy 08:15 21 Oct 03

i am giving my old pc to my son,amd athlon 1200,it came with me i upgraded it to xp.my son wanted it to run with me os,so i put product recovery cd in and reset it to me,my probem is almost all the programms won,t respond.i have tried running scandisc both standard and thorough it does start to run tells me their are bad sectors on hard drive and it will fix it then it freezes,have also tried norten utilities when it gets to surface scan it stops responding at 7%.i would be really really gratefull for any help on this,before the men in the white van come to take me away.thanks.

picklesy 08:21 21 Oct 03

sorry meant to add going out for a while,just in case you were wondering why no response.thanks again.

Lozzy 09:31 21 Oct 03

Did you re format the HDD?? If not and you just inserted the recovery CD then thats where your problem lies.

Reformat the HDD use the recovery CD to re-install Win ME then you will have to re install all the programs.

woody 10:28 21 Oct 03

But back up first.

picklesy 16:29 21 Oct 03

how do i reformat the hdd.thanks for replies so far.

Legolas 16:38 21 Oct 03

If you have an ME or win98 floppy disk start the computer with the floppy in the drive choose 'start with CD Rom support'when the floppy has booted up to the a: prompt type c: and press enter then type format c: press enter and it should begin to format.

Boot up into DOS using a ME floppy boot disc.At the prompt type FORMAT C: where C is the letter of your main drive. If you have a hard drive with more than one partition, ie. lettered D ,E etc, you will have to format these individually.
You will get a warning message saying all data will be lost, Type Y (yes), and press enter, to proceed with format.
When format is finished and you get the DOS prompt, put your Windows CD in the CD drive, and type setup.exe.
In theory ME should then load, but as we are dealing with Windows, a short prayer may help.

Cross posted with Legolas - I really must learn to type faster :)

picklesy 18:44 21 Oct 03

i don,t have me disc .didn,t come with comp.i,ve got product recovery cd with me on it will this still work.got the knee pads ready to start praying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…