XP and mcafee virus prob

Hangus 00:29 12 Sep 04

when i open my outlook express v6 i get a message from my mcafee privacy service that a program is trying to access a guarded file svchost.exe located at c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
I am given the option to allow access or not. If i do not allow access i get a message
msimn.exe application error instruction at 0x77f83907 referenced memory at 0x009a4eoc. the memory could not be written.
What is svchost.exe? and can i allow access to this file which my virusscan software thinks is a guarded file. it would not be guarded if there was no good reason methinks, but to not allow access causes error messages. my os is xp and my brwser is ie5 if that makes any difference. any suggestions?

Valvegrid 08:12 12 Sep 04

svchost.exe is a legitimate system file, but you may have a parasite, this is what Mcafee have to say about it:

click here

VoG II 08:37 12 Sep 04

msimn.exe is Outlook Express click here

Hangus 08:47 12 Sep 04

Thanks for that info. I have just purchased this new pc with xp and am not yet familiar with it all. My old machine was windows98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…