xp lost in hardrive failure

stormrider123 16:25 31 Jul 10

I Have a Compaq pc witch used to run windows xp service pack 2 but recently my hardrive died and I lost my windows xp installation since my compaq came with a hidden partition to repair windows I dont have a cd i cant install xp on my new hardrive.

since i still have a product key i was wondering if i could borrow a disk from someone and use the product key i have to install windows onto to my new hardrive
could someone tell me if this is possible and if it is where about can i find an xp installation disk

any help would be apreciated

woodchip 16:43 31 Jul 10

if its the same version yes you can use the key. if its Home version, that's what you would need not Pro etc

johndrew 16:47 31 Jul 10

You are also likely to need some drivers for graphics cards etc. If so start here click here

stormrider123 16:48 31 Jul 10

if i call Microsoft would they supply me with a disk for free if i say i have a product key already

DieSse 16:52 31 Jul 10

No.

stormrider123 17:23 31 Jul 10

so where can i get a disk apart from my friends

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 31 Jul 10
  stormrider123 17:32 31 Jul 10

its £149 pounds is there anywhere cheaper

although i dont have the money if i did i wouldnt waste it on xp i would go ahead and purchase windows 7 instead

onthelimit 18:23 31 Jul 10

I picked one up from ebay for £20. Here's some examples click here

DieSse 20:46 31 Jul 10

If you borrow one from a friend it won't affect them in any way - as long as you give it back ;-))

Then do a backup image of your finished installation, and you'll be covered for the future.

lotvic 21:09 31 Jul 10

Are you sure your harddrive has failed? What symptoms makes you think it has failed?
It might be something else and not harddrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…