XP loses monitor driver every time I switch the PC on.

Farflame 00:10 30 Jan 14

Every time I turn on my XP PC, it's gone back to Default monitor. It's been working fine for months but just started doing this and I haven't made any changes lately that I can think of. I do know how to update the monitor driver and I have the latest one from the manufacturer webpage. To make it a bit easier, I've stored it on my desktop, so that every time I log in, I just do the driver update from this folder. But of course, it would be better if I didn't have to do this every day :)

Devil Fish 02:08 30 Jan 14

if you only have 1 monitor then it is the default monitor your windows operating system will load a generic driver for your moitor i have never loaded a manufacturers driver

Farflame 00:05 04 Feb 14

Yes but the generic driver won't allow any of the monitors higher resolutions - basically I'm limited to 1024x768 whereas my monitor can go much higher than that. And in the past it's been fine with the monitor driver loaded in and working perfectly. But now suddenly the driver simply gets deleted every time I reload and won't show the higher resolutions, so every time I log on, I have to update the driver and reset the resolution.

Any idea why this is happening and how I can prevent it from constantly changing?

Simsy 08:12 05 Feb 14

You're saying "monitor" driver... do you really mean that? If you do, perhaps it's the graphics card driver that has got an issue and need reinstalling/updating?

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5