XP Logon Password

Legslip 10:55 AM 16 Jun 13

My friend has been given a laptop on departure from her old company. However, when she switches it on, it searches for a network connection and asks for a Username and Password. She can't remember them as it was a while ago she left.

Is there any way of recovering these or destroying them to make the machine usable? It asks for the same in Safe Mode.

Jollyjohn 11:19 AM 16 Jun 13

Here is a link to a site where you can download a password reset program. It needs to be put on a cd and boot from cd. http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Select the option to unlock the account and after a reboot it should let you in.

If not the only other option would be to re install the OS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 AM 16 Jun 13

Use ophcrack to reset the Admin password

Create a new account

Copy over any thing you want from the old account to the new one

then delete the old account

Legslip 12:55 PM 16 Jun 13

Struggling with this. Tried JollyJohns Pogostick and after trying to delete Pwds I still get at boot with XP PRo 'preparing network connections'. Then I get 'the system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct etc'.

Any further assist?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 PM 16 Jun 13

At the log in screen

Username select "Administrator" Domain select "?????this laptop"

Legslip 19:35 PM 16 Jun 13

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will try tomorrow and advise.

Legslip 12:35 PM 17 Jun 13

Thanks all. Cracked it! Used Ophcrack and removed Pwds and logged in with a Username that showed. Prob 1 solved!

Prob 2.... I now want to Factory Restore the laptop. It is an HP 2230s. I am now in Vista and can see a HP Recovery Sector on D: but there is nothing listed to access it via START- PROGRAMS. I have tried on Boot, ESC then F11 but that just takes me back to Windows. Any ideas how I can Fact. Restore?

Legslip 12:36 PM 17 Jun 13

Sorry, it's XP!!!

Legslip 13:40 PM 17 Jun 13

Don't worry people. Going to reformat completely. Thanks for all your help and assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know