XP Logon Password

Legslip 10:55 16 Jun 13

My friend has been given a laptop on departure from her old company. However, when she switches it on, it searches for a network connection and asks for a Username and Password. She can't remember them as it was a while ago she left.

Is there any way of recovering these or destroying them to make the machine usable? It asks for the same in Safe Mode.

Jollyjohn 11:19 16 Jun 13

Here is a link to a site where you can download a password reset program. It needs to be put on a cd and boot from cd. http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Select the option to unlock the account and after a reboot it should let you in.

If not the only other option would be to re install the OS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 16 Jun 13

Use ophcrack to reset the Admin password

Create a new account

Copy over any thing you want from the old account to the new one

then delete the old account

Legslip 12:55 16 Jun 13

Struggling with this. Tried JollyJohns Pogostick and after trying to delete Pwds I still get at boot with XP PRo 'preparing network connections'. Then I get 'the system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct etc'.

Any further assist?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 16 Jun 13

At the log in screen

Username select "Administrator" Domain select "?????this laptop"

Legslip 19:35 16 Jun 13

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will try tomorrow and advise.

Legslip 12:35 17 Jun 13

Thanks all. Cracked it! Used Ophcrack and removed Pwds and logged in with a Username that showed. Prob 1 solved!

Prob 2.... I now want to Factory Restore the laptop. It is an HP 2230s. I am now in Vista and can see a HP Recovery Sector on D: but there is nothing listed to access it via START- PROGRAMS. I have tried on Boot, ESC then F11 but that just takes me back to Windows. Any ideas how I can Fact. Restore?

Legslip 12:36 17 Jun 13

Sorry, it's XP!!!

Legslip 13:40 17 Jun 13

Don't worry people. Going to reformat completely. Thanks for all your help and assistance.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to Draw Realistic Female Superheroes

Apple Q3 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone and Mac sales fall, overall revenue'…