Xp logon logoff

Flat4 13:14 13 Jun 05

I've just gone to windows update and started to download the updates(56k) I think there was 13 in all, after watching the tele for half an hour went to check on things. The connection had timed out and only downloaded 2 of 13 so I was left with a screen asking for a reboot, I pressed yes and since then all I get is the welcome screen and when I press my user logon it logs on and immediatly logs off. I'd virus checked the day before and none, on start up before it has allways gone straight to desktop as I'm the only user. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Phil

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 13 Jun 05

Boot in safe mode and see if you can uninstall the updates from Add/Remove software in the control panel.

If that does not work hen use system restore to goback to a point before you downloaded the updates.

Flat4 13:51 13 Jun 05

I'll give that a try tonight (I'm using my works pc) to see if it works many thanks Fruit bat.

Flat4 12:36 14 Jun 05

No that didn't work it starts to run through loading system 32 files and crashes so can't even get to windows, even tried the last good setting option and it goes back to my original problem.
Is this end of the road and a complete install required or is there any more fixes I can try?

Stuartli 14:37 14 Jun 05

You could do an XP Repair whcih will also preserve your data and settings.

Ensure you can Boot from CDROM and insert your XP CDROM.

When asked, choose to Install. Do this again when asked if you wish to continuing to Install or go to the Recovery Console.

You will then get a further operation to Repair by pressing R - select this option.

Near the end you will be asked for your Product Key - enter it.

You will/may also have to reinstall SP2 afterwards.

Stuartli 14:41 14 Jun 05

Some awful typing errors in above...:-(

Should be:

....if you wish to continue to Install or go to the Recovery Console...

...you will then get a further option to Repair by...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…