XP License

sneakerman 15:18 12 Sep 05

If I rebuild a WinXP Pro PC with an OEM version of the OS and once I have installed it I replace the original license key, does that comply with the EULA?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:18 12 Sep 05

Changing of motherboard, hard drive, g card or ammount of memory may caue it not to reactivate as Msoft then assumes this is a differnet computer than one OEM licenced for.

Fingees 17:20 12 Sep 05

It should be OK.

if it wont activate automatically online. explaining over the phone will do.

If it's more than 6 months since initial activation, it should do it ok online

I've iused my OEM copy for a few years, and changed MB etc .
No problem.

Microsoft ate very helpful if you do have a problem, and will give you an activation code.

All the best.

ventanas 21:46 12 Sep 05

I recently contacted Microsoft about this because I had a similar concern. Their answer - If you change any internal component except the motherboard the OEM licence remains. If you change the motherboard and any other component (s) you are ok, but if you change the motherboard and the chassis (whatever that is, I presume the case) then the OEM licence ceases to exist.

Skills 23:53 12 Sep 05

So if I read that correctly ventanas I could build myself a completely new system as long as I keep it in the original case that the PC came in and the OEM license would still stand?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…