XP Licence number not accepted

pavel 23:04 20 Apr 05

I have a Evesham Laptop that came with xp installed and a disk with xp on to reload as needed, the 25 digit code being attached to the bottom of the laptop. Came to do my first reinstall/repair and inputted the requested number only to find that it was rejected as not valid. Yes I tried it and checked it several times and on different user id's but all to no avail . So what is it, simply the wrong number or am I deluded in expecting the xp disk to install over or repair the exsisting xp version ?
Thank you folks

User-312386 23:07 20 Apr 05

Do you have a "restore to factory disc" or an XP disc?

How did you try to re-install windows?

pavel 23:11 20 Apr 05

Well it looks like an evesham version of xp when i browse the disk (ie, not straight from mr gates)I was trying to find a repair option by running the cd under windows. It was a lets try this and see what happens moment.

SANTOS7 23:12 20 Apr 05

Simple question, is the disc you tend to reload from genuine or a pirate copy.

pavel 23:13 20 Apr 05

Simple answer Genuine

SANTOS7 23:13 20 Apr 05

i think you have answered my question by saying it is not straight from Mr Gates or can you enlighten us on this

User-312386 23:14 20 Apr 05

It looks like you have a "restore to factory settings disc"

I assume that it came with a floppy disc as well?

If you put the floppy in and the cd rom at the same time this will re-install XP

N.B This will delete all data on the disc and return the computer to delivery condition

pavel 23:14 20 Apr 05

Sorry should read just "genuine" then been signed Pavel not to read like I made it.

SANTOS7 23:15 20 Apr 05

O K silly question the O/S you have on your laptop did it come from the disc you have

Pooke100 23:16 20 Apr 05

Is the disc a gold colour with loads of shiny holograms all over it?

I think you've just botched what you intended to do. How did you attempt the repair?

I would assume that you booted from the cd? That's how I usually do it.

pavel 23:16 20 Apr 05

Good .... and er bad, I will go the 2back to factory state" if no other way but I just wanted to repair damege done by a worm/trojan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…