XP licence key question

rômanab 12:57 26 Mar 06

I am about to re-install win XP for a friend on a Time PC but after checking the licence key with Belarc and winkeyfinder I find that the key shown is different to the one on his XP sticker on the back of his box?? Which one should I use?

It IS legit.

Methedrine 13:16 26 Mar 06

If one doesn't work, try the other.

rômanab 13:23 26 Mar 06

Well I was more concerned about activation, if I choose wrong will it activate.

AaNnDdYy 13:26 26 Mar 06

should be ok

rômanab 13:35 26 Mar 06

I'll give it a go then.

Cheers

bjh 16:09 26 Mar 06

Companies like Time normally install hard drives in a batch, and they use their own legal Windows key; Windows is pre-activated. They attach a sticker to the case that is the unique key for that issue of Windows. So, when you do a reinstall, you should use the key that is on the label. I'd recommend always keeping a record of the installed code for posterity... it may help in any explanation to a Microsoft telephone operator should manual activation be the way forward - it's a good indication of the original source of the machine

woodchip 16:15 26 Mar 06

They two key's are as a result of the above one key for restore disc and one for OEM disc. That's what it is with mine as I have both

rômanab 17:48 26 Mar 06

All done :o)

Well, all except activation but he can do that.

I used the key off his sticker in the end as that seemed the logical option, I did also make a note of the other just in case.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…