XP Legal Installation

Mysticnas 19:28 29 Dec 05

Hi all,

Friend has a laptop that had XP home on it. Didn't have a CD with it just a recovery partition on the hard-drive. Obviously can't recover as the drive has crashed.

I have XP pro SP2 CD for my pc. Can i install this using her product key on the bottom of the laptop?

If not, what else can I do?

Chegs ®™ 19:33 29 Dec 05

No,Pro and Home are separate entities.If you know someone with Home CD,then you can use that + her key.Other than that,basically she's stuffed unfortunately.

Mysticnas 19:38 29 Dec 05

...Microsoft send me a XP Home CD?

I've been on the IBM site and i can't find anywhere how to get a recovery CD, i know they are available online as I got one before for my old laptop. But that was some time ago.

Chegs ®™ 19:57 29 Dec 05

click here This is for NetVista 2292 laptops,but surely a bit of digging thru IBM site should reveal a contact method so you can ask them about your model.

Mysticnas 20:02 29 Dec 05

i've phone two numbers.

1st one said i've got the number for contracted support. Then i called the freephone number and they said they didn't have a clue what I was on about and can't help, couldn't even give me another number to call or anything. Just kept reffering me to the site; even though i'd told her i've been on it for a few hours trying to find a recovery CD.

Mysticnas 20:09 29 Dec 05

OK i went to that link, which i've been to before. But no-where on the page can i see a link or any way of actually getting the CD? it mentions a code for it. Right...

then what do i do? It doesn't even tell you to phone them with the part number.

thms 20:34 29 Dec 05

Try here
click here

Strawballs 22:33 29 Dec 05

I think that you will find that it will have been an OEM version of XP therefore microsoft will not want to know all they will say is that support will have to come from the computer manufacturerer

Strawballs 23:08 29 Dec 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…