XP laptop won't share internet on Vista laptop

fredinjorox 18:04 06 Oct 07

I have a Vista wireless enabled laptop which connects to the internet via a vodafone USB connect box at 53K. I know this is stoneage stuff but I live up a mountain in Spain with no landline or wifi signal.

My wife has a XP Home wireless enabled laptop which I want to connect to the internet via my laptop. Tried to set up a network and they can see one another but the wife's laptop won't connect to the internet.

I have ICS turned on in my internet connection.
Both laptops are less than a year old.

I have spent days trying to get it to work with no joy. Anyone help please

mgmcc 19:10 06 Oct 07

Does the "Wireless Network Connection" in your Laptop have the IP address 192.168.0.1 and does your wife's Laptop get an address in the same 192.168.0.x range by DHCP from your Laptop?

If you are running Zone Alarm in your Laptop, the "Internet Zone Security" level must be reduced from High to Medium or ICS traffic will be blocked.

fredinjorox 19:52 06 Oct 07

Thanks fot the reply I have obtain IP address automatically set on both PC's will try the change. I am able to share files though.

Do i have to do anything with the DNS

fredinjorox 20:18 06 Oct 07

I set the IP as suggested but it still won't share the internet connection. My wife's pc doesn't seem to be getting an IP address.

I am not good at XP/Vista. Used to be a wiz kid at the DOS prompt but a dinosaur ate my PC

mgmcc 20:34 06 Oct 07

When you enabled ICS on the actual internet connection (modem connection), *WINDOWS* should automatically have configured your "Wireless Network Connection" with the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 although, if you also have a free "Local Area Connection", it would have been necessary to select which network adapter was being used to connect to the "client" computer. You should not set this up yourself.

The "client" computer should be configured to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host" PC.

<<<< I have obtain IP address automatically set on both PC's will try the change. I am able to share files though. >>>>

In the absence of a DHCP server, Windows will probably have defaulted to allocating APIPA addresses (Automatic Private IP Addressing) in the 169.254.x.x range. This may allow file/printer sharing over the network, but not internet access.

fredinjorox 23:55 06 Oct 07

Many Thanks

It's working after following your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…