XP Laptop not seeing close wireless conx

torroxtown 22:38 21 Oct 10

My daughter in laws old lap top running XP with a USB adaptor cannot locate her own wireless signal across the room(5 metres)but can locate other neighbours.Using it in my house it can see several signals and locks on no problem.
My Vista laptop can see them all.
This does not seem to make sense--anybody shed any light on the happening?

I have changed the USB adaptor for 3 different makes to to try them but all perform the same way?

mgmcc 08:06 22 Oct 10

Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings. Most routers use "6" or "11" as the default so try one of these or, if already using one, try the other. Avoid channels 1 & 2 as many other wireless devices (cordless and mobile phones etc) use these frequencies. Also avoid channels 12 and 13; in some countries these frequencies are banned and certain wireless adapters are designed not to connect on these channels.

Taff™ 08:22 22 Oct 10

Are you sure that the router is not set to either "Hide" the SSID or has been set up to only allow connections from individual adapters. (MAC Filtering)

torroxtown 19:32 26 Oct 10

You were right the router was set to Ch 2 and the USM adaptor would not rerspond to it.
Hub reset to Ch 6 and now OK
Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…