XP laptop keeps rebooting on startup

richierich 13:38 24 Apr 05

A friends laptop with XP home keeps rebooting on startup, ie cant even get to logon screen. tried booting in safe mode but same thing.
tried doing repair consul but it asks for administrator password which she hasnt got, its not the same as her logon password.
Wondering if I can just reinstall XP without overwriting her data or is there another way.(silly girl hasnt backed up her work)

BH34 13:57 24 Apr 05
  BH34 13:59 24 Apr 05

Your friend may have Blaster worm. To stop the PC from rebooting, this article may help. Click on Due to Blaster, my machine is constantly rebooting. How do I stop it long enough to install the patch? to read the answer.

stalion 14:02 24 Apr 05
  richierich 14:06 24 Apr 05

Maybe I didnt explain properly, We cant even get to logon, let alone install any patches.
We get to the windows XP screen but it reboots before getting to the logon box. Same in safe mode too.

Technotiger 14:16 24 Apr 05

Hi, you might find the answer here -

click here

VoG II 14:25 24 Apr 05
  richierich 14:32 24 Apr 05

I think we tried this but were asked to enter the administrator password (unless this was when we tried the first repair option) but will look at again.

VoG II 14:37 24 Apr 05

Just press Enter key if asked for a password.

sunny staines 14:46 24 Apr 05

I have been given a computer to fix xp reboots but not as far as logon screen and goes on in a continuous circle of rebooting but never finidshes loading windows.
I think it has the blaster worm but will not fully load so unable to install any removal tools.

The only option I can find trawling the net is complete re install of xp

richierich 14:47 24 Apr 05

tried that, it gave us three goes then rebooted again. just wondered if the manufacturers had set a password for the repairs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…