XP Laptop cannot see Vista P.C's

Antz 09:50 09 Oct 08

I have an annoying problem with my ASUS Eee Xp laptop. My network connections have always been reliable until I re-installed Windows on this machine due to stbility issues. I have all the latest updates and installed the LLTD responder. My router (Canon) is set to DHCP, password is correct etc etc. All my other machines ( 2 Vista,1 XP) have no problem. The Asus can connect to the 'net, connect to the Network printer via one of the Vista machines but cannot SEE the Vista machines. The ASUS shows up on the Vista Network map but I can only access it sometimes. I have tried recreating the network connection on the ASUS a hundred times only to get the exact same results. The issue is the same on the Wireless AND the Wired connections. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

mgmcc 19:03 09 Oct 08

As you've reinstalled Windows in the Asus Laptop, it may now have a different IP address allocated by the router which hasn't been allowed in the Vista PC's firewall. Presumably it can 'ping' the Vista PC satisfactorily?

What happens if you type the path to one of Vista's 'shared' folders directly into the address bar of "My Network Places" in the XP Laptop?

Antz 19:50 09 Oct 08

Yes, excellent,all of my shared folders can be accessed by typing the path. So what does this mean?

mgmcc 22:00 09 Oct 08

It just means that the Laptop isn't seeing the Vista PC in "My Network Places". I frequently have this problem with a networked PC not being seen and have to use the address bar. Usually though, the "missing" computer is then shown in the folder tree on the left, even if its icon still doesn't appear in the right pane.

Are all of your computers in the *SAME* Workgroup?

If you boot the Laptop after the Vista PC, does that make the Vista PC visible?

Antz 22:04 11 Oct 08

Thanks for your tips. I have taken your advice and just used the address bar. Then I made a shortcut to the shared file locations on the laptop desktop. Yes, they are both on the same workgroup. This is a bit strange though, I just cannot see why it won't display the icons to the networked P.C's. It displays the icons for my two media streamers on the network, so why not the PC's.?...............weird.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now