XP Lappy cant to get to Desktop even in safe mode?

daniellabell 20:18 30 Jul 09

Hi, my sister's 5 year old laptop has recently started being really slow and today it wont get to the desktop screen. I've chosen the various options such as safemode, last known working configuration etc etc but it still keeps restarting after showing the XP logo with the black background. What can i do please?

MAT ALAN 20:22 30 Jul 09

Has the atributes of corrupt memory.

If you have a bootable copy of your O/S have you tried booting to the disc to try a repair or reinstall option...

daniellabell 20:28 30 Jul 09

I have an xp installation disc, would that work? wouldn't it erase all of the files on the hard drive?

MAT ALAN 20:32 30 Jul 09

That will much depend on how your HDD is set up do you have a recovery partition or are all your files and progs on same partition as O/S...

I would for now just see if it will boot to the disc and give you further options if it does it may elliminate the memory issue...

DieSse 20:50 30 Jul 09

Also can be caused by hard drive corruption . My sons Paxkard Bell desktop does it on about every third power cut (and we get a lot here - I think I'll kill him if he doesn't get a UPS soon).

To check - load the XP CD and run the recovery console (press R at the time it gives this as an option)

At the C: prompt type chkdsk /R - note a space before the /R.

If it finds errors and fixes them - it may start up afterwards.

Note this can take a loooong time.

daniellabell 20:52 30 Jul 09

Ok i have just put in the xp boot cd and the options are now:

a) Install Windows XP
b) Repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console
c) Quit the setup without installing Windows XP

Which one do you think is the best option?

daniellabell 20:54 30 Jul 09

Thank you Diesse, could you tell me if doing that runs any risk of deleting files, pictures etc?

MAT ALAN 20:56 30 Jul 09

b) repair, no risk to any files

daniellabell 21:00 30 Jul 09

Ok thanks, i have just pressed R for repair and have just noticed something come up to suggest the XP boot cd is actually XP Pro, so i have quickly cancelled that using an exit option so now i'm trying what i think is just XP, i hope it will still work ok!

daniellabell 21:09 30 Jul 09

Hello again, unfortunately i've just put in my second disk which i hoped would just be XP but that too says at the top of the options screen 'XP Professional Setup'
Is this not going to work properly?

MAT ALAN 21:14 30 Jul 09

No, you will need to borrow a copy of XP home...

there should be a sticker on the bottom of your lappy with a licence code, that should confirm its Home and not Pro...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…