XP keeps trying to re-install

nethy 04:46 22 Aug 03

I've had one problem after another since installing Norton anti virus and firewall. First it immediately discovers the MSBlast virus (since, apparently succcessfully removed).
Immediately after that I've got the XP installation dialogue boxes flashing up as XP tries to re-install itself. But XP is already on the machine and there is no XP CD in the drive.
But these dialogue boxes seem to be on a loop and I spend most of my time clicking them away.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make them disappear for good?

matt5705 07:31 22 Aug 03

you say you had the blaster virus and maby a bit of windows got damaged so it wants to reinstall just creat a restore point and let it reinstall in the same directory (please comfirm this with someone else)

Jester2K II 08:21 22 Aug 03

What is the EXACT message?

nethy 08:55 22 Aug 03

I can't actually open a Word document now.
The exact message is "Windows Installer. Prepare to install"
This is then swiftly follwed by "Please wait until Windows configures the Microsfot XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click OK"
Then finally "Error 1706: setup cannot find files"

Jester2K II 09:01 22 Aug 03

Sounds a bit jumbled.

i could understand if it said

"Please wait until Windows configures the Microsfot OFFICE XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click OK"

in which case its just your Office installation thats damaged.

Are you sure its not

Microsfot OFFICE XP Professional with Frontpage

nethy 09:27 22 Aug 03

Actually Jester, you are right.
It is my typing at fault. And noting down the exact message

Jester2K II 09:30 22 Aug 03

When it appears you need to put your Office XP disk in the CD Drive.

Also open Excel (or any office XP app that will work) and goto Help menu, and select "Detect and Repair"

Follow instructions. Have CD Ready in Drive.

nethy 09:52 22 Aug 03

Tried several times using the Detect and Repair at the same time as the XP disk. Got the following message:

The path 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package Proplus.msi in a folder from which you can install the product Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page.'

I hae not tried looking for Proplus.Msi yet. Do you think that is the way to go?

Jester2K II 10:16 22 Aug 03

Basically its telling you that it can't find the location it was installed from. You need to find the CD. Proplus.msi will be on the CD.

Djohn 10:27 22 Aug 03

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 304226

To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.

Method 1
Obtain the latest version of the Windows Installer, version 2.0. To download the latest version, browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
click here

Method 2
Close all of the error messages described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
Leave the correct Microsoft Office XP CD-ROM in your computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.
Start Microsoft Office XP Setup by doing one of the following:

Use the "install on first use" component that you previously attempted to use.
Run Microsoft Office XP Setup from the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel.

Attempt to use the clip art that you previously attempted to use.
If the correct CD-ROM is in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive when the Windows Installer starts running, the problem described in the "Symptoms" section does not occur.

keith-236785 10:43 22 Aug 03

It might be an idea to Uninstall Office competely, see if the messages stop popping up, then re-install office again. That should solve any "missing or corrupt" files, once uninstalled, do a search on your Office cd for the file OFFCLN9 , run this to remove any stubborn office files before re-installing.

hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now