xp keeps rebooting before logon

Sluggard 17:03 24 Sep 03

for a couple of days when starting my PC I got a message stating that the system had just recovered from a serious fault. After using it I couldn't close down a program (Nero 5.5) and it locked I had to turn off the machine without closing windows. Now when starting with either safe mode, last recent setting or normal start,windows starts to load but before I get the blue login page it starts to reboot.
I have read Microsoft KB 310396 which mentions a missing or damaged file Kernel32.dll and tried to follow their suggestions using my recover disk & Recovery Console. However when I try to type the given commands at the prompt I get a message "the path or file specified is not valid". I have tried C:\DIR at the prompt and then get a message "an error occured during directory enumeration". When I first start up I do get a warning that my hard drive is about to pack up and I should save my work but I'm not convinced that it's the HD.

Rayuk 18:10 24 Sep 03

Download hard drive diagnostic tool from manufacturers website and run it,that way you will know whether it is the hard drive or not

barnacarry 18:42 24 Sep 03

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks after installing xp and the only way I cleared it was by put the installation disk in D drive and letting it re-install itself.

Sluggard 00:54 25 Sep 03

Thanks guys but the only problem is how can I download & run a diagnostic test when the computer isn't working and if I let it reinstall windows won't all my stuff be lost? Maybe I'm missing something!

Rayuk 17:15 25 Sep 03

You use the diagnostic tool via floppy disk on startup via dos.

Sluggard 18:53 25 Sep 03

Thanks Ray I have visited Maxtor site for download but they state that if used all data will be lost. Although this may be inevitable I'm hoping & praying for little data loss as I have not backed up recently! Some people never learn do they!!!!!

Sluggard 22:50 23 Oct 03

Mesh fitted new HD lost all info, lesson to be learnt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…