XP keep going back to boot-up sequence

splinternet 18:39 16 Oct 05

My other pc runs XP Home Edition. When powering on, the boot-up sequence goes into disk checking (which I've seen before on the occasions when I've had to unnaturally power it down after a crash). No errors are found, so it continues to the XP intro display showing the user-id's, so all looks ok at this stage. However, no matter which user I try to login with, after entering the p/word, it goes straight back to boot-up and then to disk checking. This loop continues ad infinitum. I'm loathe to simply whack in the manufacturer's reload/backup CD as (I assume) this will wipe out all data files which are not backed up.

Any thoughts on how I can restore XP without wiping my data?

VoG II 18:41 16 Oct 05

Repair XP click here

Logon loop click here and scroll down a bit.

splinternet 20:42 16 Oct 05

Both these options seem to require the XP installation CD. My pc never came with one. It was from Time, and all I have is a Reload/Backup CD, and a separate Backup CD (don't know what the difference is).

VoG II 20:46 16 Oct 05

The second option can be done using a set of floppies to access the Recovery Console. You can download the floppies if you click here

splinternet 20:47 16 Oct 05

The Backup CD contains two files: bootcat.bin and bootimg.bin

VoG II 20:49 16 Oct 05

If you can borrow an XP CD from somebody, that should work.

quack 22:03 16 Oct 05

bump

splinternet 22:04 16 Oct 05

???

VoG II 22:17 16 Oct 05

Well as I see it your choices are (in order of preference)

- borrow an XP CD and do a repair and/or access the Recovery Console. You must enter your own Product Key if you do this.

- use the set of six floppies to access Recovery Console

- use your recovery disk. This will almost certainly wipe everything - programs, e-mails etc.

splinternet 22:24 16 Oct 05

....or go to a pc repair shop? Can't afford to lose the data, so option 3 is a non-starter. Product Key? - Time never told me this. And unfortunately, my laptop (which is working ok) doesn't have floppy capability.

splork 22:41 16 Oct 05

if you can get access to another pc, grab some partitioning software, or a bootdisk like UltimateBootDisk4.3, click here

Move your XP partition `up` the HD by 8gb or so and install a new XP er..installation, then recover your files from the other partition using that.
Or get a very basic linux runtime CD and go into the mnt: folder to find your XP install. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…