XP just wont load up...

chris6891 18:16 06 Mar 09

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - I'm running Windows XP on a Dell machine.

When I turn on my system it seems to boot up fine, it gets past the xp loading screen and then seems to continue (the background comes up etc) but then it seems to get stuck. I can move the mouse etc and the background is there...but nothing else loads! I can bring up the task manager but that's the most I can do. I've tried leaving it for 10 mins to see if it was just slow...but nothing.

I've tried rebooting, running in safe mode, and trying to boot with last known configuration settings that worked..but the same happens on all of them.

As far as I know, the system crashed the last time it was on. Any help with anyone who has experienced this before or any suggestions on how to fix it would be great.

Thanks!

iscanut2 18:21 06 Mar 09

When you get the Task Manager up, can you select Shutdown and see if it shuts down properly and then re boot ? Does the task Manager show anything running ? Are you able to get to System Restore whilst in Safe Mode ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 06 Mar 09
  chris6891 18:55 06 Mar 09

Thanks for replies so far,

iscanut - I can select shut down etc, and have tried rebooting it through that method. The task manager shows no tasks as running. Safe mode will not let me get past the same point either...It just sticks on the desktop background with no task bar, nor program icons etc. It's just empty space.

Fruit Bat - thanks for the suggestion, not only is the tool bar not there...neither are the icons/ anything else. I wouldn't be able to get as far as running the program you suggested.

Any other thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 06 Mar 09

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

slightlymad 20:39 06 Mar 09

Have a flash drive in one of your USB ports?

I had exactly the same problem once. Seems that the system was trying to power up from the flash drive, and failing. Windows took an age to load, then all I had was my wallpaper - no task bar or desktop icons.

They appeared in a trice as soon as I removed the memory stick.

Terminus90 21:04 06 Mar 09

slightlymad is correct, but have you also tried a system restore from safe mode?

woodchip 22:06 06 Mar 09

He said it same in safe mode. he cannot get nothing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…