xp internet sharing

conrail 18:56 11 Jan 04

1 pc + 1 laptop both using xp, pc has ntl broadband via a cable modem and usb connection.
want to let a laptop share my broadband access so took advice from experts! at a computer fair and purchased a usb ethernet adaptor for the laptop and a D-Link 32bit pci bus adaptor for pc also crossover cable, pc now has my local area network + a second connection using the d-link in the network connections, but the laptop says not connected, I believe it is trying to connect via the d-link which is not connected my my cable modem instead of by the broadband, any help appreciated, laptop is for my daughter to access net for college course without tying up pc

Daveboy 19:00 11 Jan 04

Have you run the internet connection sharing wizard ?

howard60 19:54 11 Jan 04

check on the properties of network places and look in advanced top right tab - see if xp firewall is enabled if it is take tick out of box.

conrail 13:18 13 Jan 04

have tried that Daveboy, now trying to by pass the pc D-Link 32bit pci bus adaptor and link directly through the cable modem that is linked to the pc via usb but also has socket for the x over cable to be installed, have been told I need a router but as they are £80 without the cables this is beyond current budget for this job

BIGBAGGY 13:51 13 Jan 04

I don't know much about it but I have 3 PCs and a Laptop attached to my Telewest Broadband and its easy I add laptops every other week when some one brings one round for me to look at. Anyway I use a HUB and its only a few quid to buy one.

conrail 13:56 13 Jan 04

thanks for suggestion BIGBAGGY, sorry to appear thick but can you point me towrds a hub and info on setting up, thanks

conrail 16:34 16 Jan 04

going to try a router, do I need to use the ntl install disc on the laptop if I use a router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…