XP installations says "Disk Full"

musicmike 08:51 12 Apr 03

I have a 15GB disk partitioned equally into C: and D:. I have W98se on C: and wanted to install XP on to D: so that I could gradually migrate to XP. I backed up all my data from D: and formatted it (incidently after the format there was still an empty folder on it?????)Anyway when I tried to install XP I was told that the disk was full. I can only assume that it was trying to install on C: but I was given no choice for destination. Any ideas?

Mike

fitcher 12:59 12 Apr 03

boot up with floppy containing fdisk and format with
a 98 //make sure when you fdisk that the partitions sizes are correct no 4 in fdisk .

-pops- 13:14 12 Apr 03

XP decides where it is going to go on your hard drive and that is on drive C. You do not and cannot have a say in this unless you do some complex jiggling about and even then, I'm unsure whether it is possible. If there isn't enough room on drive C because of another operating system there, it will tell you so - which it has done.

The thing to do is remove W98 or install XP on top of W98 as an upgrade or remove the partition to give more room to let XP in.

My suggestion would be to fdisk and format the whole drive thus ensuring the whole of the space is available and then work from there. There shouldn't be any problem as you say all important stuff is backed up.

Brian

muppetmark 13:58 12 Apr 03

choose the advanced option to install this then allows you a choice of drive to install to HTH

Brian-336451 14:10 12 Apr 03

I dual booted into Win98/XP for a while because I was sceptical about XP's claims of stability etc.

Quite soon I realised that they were, in fact, true so did the business and binned Win 98.

So, if your data is backed up, go for it. One small point is that one or two games I used to like cannot work with XP - in my experience Compatibility Mode does not work well, and has failed me all ways round, I can't believe that I have 'done' it wrong.

That accepted, the rest works VERY well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…