xp installation on win98 PC

Nessie 22:33 14 Sep 03

I have a PC with win98 on a single partition on a 40gb hd. I also have a second 40gb hd that only holds data. I want to install xp without having to start all over again as my pc is stable and I do not want to take the chance that my printer etc will not work in xp. Can you tell me how i can have both os's running together, hopefully, or with one on each hd. Can I partion wiyhout losing win98 etc. Any help would be great .

AL D. 22:45 14 Sep 03

scroll down to "How To - Installing or Upgrading to Windows XP" you will find all your answers here

click here

ade.h 22:49 14 Sep 03

October issue of PC Advisor has a how-to on this subject on page 118.

temp003 05:16 15 Sep 03

It is possible on your present setup to create a dual boot between 98 and XP, without losing 98 or any of the data on either hard disk, by installing XP to the single partition on the 2nd hdd. Your 2nd hdd is already on FAT32 which is the right file system for a dual boot with 98. And since there are no operating systems on it, you don't have to format it. So nothing will get lost (1st or 2nd hdd) during the XP installation.

That is, if you are happy with 40GB partitions on both disks.

Make sure you've got XP drivers for your hardware first, either on CD, or download them from the net first.

Before installing XP, disconnect unnecessary hardware first, such as printer, scanner and so on.

To create the dual boot, simply put in your XP CD, and restart the computer (making sure that in BIOS setup, CDROM comes before the hard disk in boot sequence). On most computers, you will be asked to "press any key to boot from CD". Just press a key on the keyboard, and the computer will boot from the XP CD.

When the XP Setup screen appears, press Enter to go into XP Setup, and follow the prompts. The choice is always to install a fresh copy of XP.

You will finally be shown a list of partitions on your computer, and asked where to install XP to. Use the Up/Down arrows on the keyboard to highlight the partition on the 2nd hard disk (it may be drive D, but could be something else). Just do not select the C partition, which is where 98 is.

Highlight the partition and press Enter to install XP. You will ultimately be presented with formatting options. Select "Leave existing file system intact". Then XP Setup will not format the 2nd hdd. XP Setup will then copy files to your computer and ask you to restart. Leave the XP CD in, and let the computer restart, except that this time you need to restart from the hard disk, so do not press any key on the keyboard to boot from the CD. If you see a "boot menu" on restart, giving you the choice of Windows 98 and XP Setup, choose XP Setup and press Enter to go back into XP Setup.

XP installation will continue, and when that's done, computer will restart again.

This time on restart, you will be presented with a new boot menu. The first option (and the default option too) should be XP, and the second should be Windows 98. Use the up/down arrow to select your OS, and press Enter. Select XP and press Enter to boot into XP, and install drivers and so on.

This way, your 98 is preserved; XP is installed to the 2nd hard disk, and the data on the 2nd hdd is also preserved.

One more thing. Before you install XP, from Windows 98, download the Blaster patch (KB824246) for XP and store it on your computer. click here

After installing XP, before you go on the internet, apply the Blaster patch first. This is because some people have caught the virus on a new installation of XP or Windows 2000 before they have the time to download the patch from Windows Update or before they can install antivirus (me being one of them on my reinstallation of Windows 2000).

temp003 07:55 15 Sep 03

My own view is that 40 GB partitions are too large. You also don?t have separate partitions for your data, which means that if the OS needs a format and reinstall, you?ll lose the data, and will have to restore the data to the hdd from your backup (assuming you have a backup).

This may be a good time to repartition one or both of your hard disks.

You can always get Partition Magic to do the job for you, without losing existing data. Use PM to resize an existing partition, and create new partitions from the new unpartitioned space. Then take the steps above to create the dual boot. [You can also use PM to create the dual boot, but my own preference is use XP?s native dual boot functionality.]

If you don?t want to spend money on buying PM, you can still do it, but takes a little more time.

Without PM (or other third party software), you can?t resize a partition without losing data. However, since your 2nd hdd only has data on it, you can either copy or move the data to the 1st hdd (if the 1st hdd has enough space), or burn the data to CDs (which may take a long time). Ideally you should back up your data on the hdd anyway before you install XP, to be safe.

After backing up the data on 2nd hdd, boot from XP CD, and follow the steps as in my last post.

When asked where to install XP to, highlight the partition on the 2nd hdd, but this time, press D to delete the partition. You will lose the data, so you must have copied or moved the data elsewhere first. Confirm the deletion. Then the 40GB (or 37.25GB according to Windows) becomes unpartitioned space. Highlight that space. Press C to create a new partition. Enter the amount in MB for the size of the new partition. For example, a ?5GB? partition will be about 5369 MB. A 5 or 6 GB partition should be enough for XP (allowing room for expansion), although if you have a lot of programs, especially big games, you can create a larger partition.

After entering the size, press Enter, and you?ll be back on the list of partitions. Highlight the newly created partition, and press Enter to install XP on it. When given formatting options, choose ?Format with FAT?. Do NOT choose NTFS for a dual boot with 98.

After formatting, XP will copy files to the 1st hdd (as in last post). Just proceed as before.

After XP is installed, and you?ve fine tuned it, you can create further partitions from the remaining unpartitioned space on the 2nd hdd. Do it in XP?s Disk Management.

To access Disk Management, right click My Computer, Manage, expand Storage, and click Disk Management. Or, click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

In the lower section, against Disk(1), you should see the XP partition. To the right of that, you should see unpartitioned space. Right click that space and select ?create new partition? and follow the prompts. Choose ?extended partition?. Use all the unpartitioned space for the extended partition. After creating the extended partition, and back to the graphical interface, the space within the extended partition will be called ?Free space?. Right click the free space and select ?create logical drive?. Enter size of logical drive. Format with FAT. When the new logical drive has been formatted, you can start using that partition. Put your data back to that partition.

Nessie 22:06 15 Sep 03

thanks everyone I will give it a bash

Nessie 22:13 15 Sep 03

After formatting, XP will copy files to the 1st hdd (as in last post). Just proceed as before.

Sorry temp biy lost by this phrase. If xp on 2nd hd

temp003 04:39 17 Sep 03

Sorry, I haven't visited the site for a couple of days.

"After formatting, XP will copy files to the 1st hdd ..."

That's correct, but I shouldn't have said it because it's just confusing. Those are just temporary installation files, copied to the bootable partition, so that the computer can boot back into XP Setup (which will continue on restart - and install XP to the specified partition).

These files will be deleted before the completion of the XP installation.

Sorry for the confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…